“In the center of Thessaloniki, just north of Egnatia Street and on a considerably lower level than the road, stands the church of the Panagia of Chalkeon (Our Lady of the Coppersmiths), popularly known as the “Red Church”. Small and elegant, it stands out amongst Thessaloniki’s Byzantine churches for the graceful lines of its exterior and its simple and inspiring interior.
According to the inscription, which will be disgussed further on, it was built in 1028, at a time when, following the invasions and the defeat of the Bulgarians, Thessaloniki was thriving both economic and artistically. After the city had fallen to the Turks (in 1430), the church became a mosque and was given with the name Kazancilar-Camici. Following liberation, it was once more given over to Christian worship and the disfiguring additions made by the Turks were removed…”
(from the edition)